I have written about this ad nauseum, but after the whole Anusara Yoga Wiccan Sex Cult crap lately, I had to comment on it again. When practiced as a system , yoga balances us out and makes us better people. When the focus is just on the physical, the ego continues to grow. Some teachers even speculate that the energy transfer that happens in Yoga actually compounds everything that is jacked up about you.
You don't have to spend hours in meditation, chant Hare Krishna or get rid of your strong sweaty hot yoga practice to miniaturize your ego. Lucky for you, Patanjali, wrote the yoga sutras and laid out the Yamas to keep you sane. The Yamas form the universal morality code for yoga. By practicing just these 5 observances, many unpleasant situations in our lives can be avoided. Below are 6 simple questions , based on the Yamas, to keep you from doing something stupid.
1. Will This Harm Myself or Others? (Ahimsa)
2. Do I Know This to be the Truth? (Satya)
3. Am I Taking Something That Doesn't Belong To Me? (Asteya)
4. Am I In Control of My Emotions or Are My Emotions Controlling Me? (Bramacharya)
5. Will Having This Make My Life Better or More Complicated? (Aparigraha)
Video of the Day