Sean Johnson and the Wild Lotus Band produces beautiful devotional music with a hint of modern flair. I own several albums by this band but I just found Devaloka. They are coming to Yoga Flex in Charlotte NC, where I live, this year and I am super excited. When it comes to unique workshops, Yoga Flex rocks. anyone in Charlotte should definitely be on their mailing list.
Take a listen to Devaloka and let me know what you think.
Trip Hop is electronic music mixed with Trance, Techno & Hip Hop elements. It is perfect for people who like upbeat music but don't enjoy listening to the top 100 while they practice. If lyrics in music distract you or your class, you can find many trip hop artists who use very few words, if any, in their compositions. Here are a few of my favorites.
Group: Little People/ Album: Mickey Mouse Operation
Group: Bonobo/All Their Albums are Usually Good
Group: Massive Attack/Albums: Heligoland & Mezzanine.
Everybody has those days were they mentally want to practice yoga and know that they will feel great afterwords but the physical body is dragging a bit. Below are a few ways to give yourself a kick start.
Caffeine: There is a huge debate about coffee being a drug and a crutch and its effects on the adrenal glands. Okay. I get it. However, people have been drinking coffee for eons and they don't end up zombies, strung out prostitutes or in rehab because of it. Coffee gets the job done. Period.
Music: Instant mood lifter. Don't limit yourself to "yoga" music. Put on your favorite artist that make you wanna dance and bop your head and do your yoga practice to it.
Pranayama: Breathing oxygenates and energizes our cells while pushing out carbon dioxide and other toxins. Ujjayi, Kapalabhti, and Bhastrika pranayamas are fabulous breathing techniques for lifting energy in the body.
The need for speed: Faster paced asana practices like Power, Ashtanga, and other Vinyasa(flow) derivatives are sequenced to increase prana(energy and life force) in the body.
Just Move and Breathe:Don't give the mind time to spin the "I'm tired" story. Just breathe and move. Don't stop. Just flow and before you know it the hour or so is up.
Fuel: Even though eating and even drinking in some forms of yoga is prohibited before practice, sometimes the body just needs a little fuel to get over the slump. The fatigue may be the bodies cries for nutrients. A few glasses of water and a light nutritious snack just might do the trick.
Just Get On Your Mat: Whatever you do, just get on your mat. Do something. If you are serious about having a dedicated, consistent yoga practice, you have to make it happen. Getting on the mat is the first step.
How Do You Power Up For Your Yoga Practice?
Video of the Day:The Effect of Ujjayi Pranayama On The "Lightness" of the body
The gifts below do double duty. They can help your yoga practice and help you and your partner have a wonderful Valentine's day as well.
1. Seamless Underwear-Yoga pants are super tight and show all your nooks and crannies. For those who don't want to go commando, seamless underwear are a comfortable and cute option and also can be used to kick up the sexy in the bedroom. Victoria's Secret has great options at many different price points.
2. Hot Yoga Shorts-Super cute and flattering. I always admire those people with the confidence to wear these in class. If you are not one of those, you can wear them in the bedroom. These are from Shakti Activewear
Many genres of music can be used in yoga and for cuddles in bed after yoga. Trip Hop, R&B and Jazz usually fit the bill. Try Massive Attack, Melody Gardot and Jill Scott. If your lover doesn't have an MP3 player throw in an I-pod as well.
4. Aromatherapy- Aromatherapy uses essential oils to create health, healing and relaxation. Oils like Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood and Patchouli are sensual where as oils like lavender are calming. Frankincense is an essential oil associated with spirituality and centering. They smell great and can be mixed into massage oils, bath water and diffused into the air for date night and used in cool clothes for your eyes during Svasana or diffused in the air during practice or meditation.
5. Share a Yoga Package-Yoga increases stamina, focus, strength, flexibility and overall mental well being. All these are helpful in everyday life as well as the bedroom.
6. Massage- Since they both relax the mind and the muscles, yoga and massage are two therapies that go hand and hand and benefit each other. For a really intimate experience, you can use music and aromatherapy and give each other massages. Many yoga studios promote couples yoga and massage workshops and packages around Valentine's day that are affordable and fun as well.
Video of the Day: Another sexy yoga song. Set The Fire To the Thrid Bar by Snow
I learned the Mangala Mantra a few years back and I love its message of peace. After hearing Pattabhi Jois do it, I do realize my pronunciation needs a bit of work. It roughly translates into:
Jai Uttal has a new album out called Thunder Love which I have purchased and so far so good. The album is a mix of old and new school yoga sounds. Many of the songs mix chanting and traditional Indian instruments with English lyrics and modern soft rock elements. Great for a yoga class that enjoys mid-tempo music. Also good for transitioning from between fast ans slow elements of a power yoga class.
Here is a video from his newest album. For more info on Jai Uttal, read my post on yoga music.
Last Day For Yoga Journal Yoga Therapy Giveaway. Check here for details
Question of the Day: What is your favorite genre of music to listen to while practicing yoga?
You may also like:
The story goes that Pattabhi Jois was in New York when the towers fell and that he added this closing chant in response to the events.
Posted by Shanna Small on September 11, 2010 at 04:38 AM in Ashtanga, In The News, Living in the Now, Meditation, Music, Videos, Yoga For Beginners, Yoga Philosophy | Permalink | Comments (2) | TrackBack (0)
| | | | | |
Many people use music in their yoga practice. How about Hip Hop? Below are my favorite Hip Hop Songs for yoga. If you use these to teach a class, make sure you get the clean versions.
Lupe Fiasco: SuperStar
Kanye West-Can't Tell Me Nothing
Talib Kweli-Get By
The Roots-You Got Me
Merry Christmas everyone!!!! I know allot of people get new I-pods for christmas so I wanted to suggest some great music for yoga. Granted, I listen to this stuff all the time but everyone knows I am a yoga geek.
These artists use sounds,lyrics and voice intonations that are influenced from more traditional eastern music. If you are a teacher, you may have to educate your students so they are comfortable with the terminologies that are taken from hinduism. Just as many parents pick names for their children based on their meanings, many words used in traditional music invoke the attributes of the name and not necessarily the deity.
While he has done albums that are non-traditional, my favorites are these below.
Kirtan: The art of Ecstatic Chant
Nectar: Live Kirtan & Pagan Remixes
Divas & Devas
Click Below to Hear Jaya Vitthale
Greatest Hits of the Kali Yuga
Non-Traditional and Calming
And Winter Came
The Best of Enya
The Idan Raichel Project
The Idan Raichel Project
Music For the Fearless
Music you don't expect in class but is fun to groove too.
Society-From the Into the Wild Sound Track
Can't Tell Me Nothing
What are your favorites?